Pages

Subscribe:

Subscribe Via Email (Do Not Edit Here!)

Wednesday 18 December 2013

Andy Murray hopes to repay British public at Australian Open

Andy Murray wants to repay the British public with Australian Open success next month after being crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year.
The 26-year-old Wimbledon champion beat rugby union player Leigh Halfpenny and jockey AP McCoy to the award.
Murray is training in Miami to prepare for 2014's first Grand Slam, which starts in Melbourne on 13 January.


"I maybe let people down over the years but they stuck by me," he said. "I'll try to repay their faith."
Murray ended a 77-year wait for a British men's singles champion at Wimbledon with victory over Novak Djokovic in July, an achievement recognised as he won Sports Personality with 56% of the vote.
Having finished third in 2012 behind cyclist Bradley Wiggins and heptathlete Jessica Ennis, he became the fourth tennis player to win the award in its 60-year history, after Ann Jones in 1969, Virginia Wade in 1977 and Greg Rusedski in 1997.
"I know I've not always been the easiest person to support but I've been under a lot of pressure for a long time so I'm just really pleased to break through," added the world number four, who won the US Open and Olympic titles in 2012.

0 comments:

Post a Comment